Thursday, 25 October 2012

"Beans Could Help Control Blood Pressure, Reduce Heart Risks in Diabetic Patients"- Study



Beans really may be a magical fruit -- a new study in the journal Archives of Internal Medicine shows that for Type 2 diabetes patients, the more legumes you eat, the better your glycemic control and the lower your risk of coronary heart disease.

"We know from our previous research that foods low on the glycemic index scale are helpful in lowering blood glucose levels," study researcher Dr. David Jenkins, director of the St. Michael's Hospital's Risk Factor Modification Centre, said in a statement. "But this is the first study of its kind to specially look at legumes' effect on cardiovascular risk factors and find they also have a blood pressure lowering effect in diabetic patients."

The study was funded by the Agricultural Bioproducts Innovation Program, via the Saskatchewan Pulse Growers and the Pulse Research Network (PURENet). The authors have also worked for, been part of, or received grants in the past from a number of agriculture groups and food companies.

Researchers found specifically that eating about a cup a day of legumes (190 grams) -- which include beans, peas and lentils -- is linked with lower blood pressure levels, which is important because "blood pressure is a big contributor to renal failure in these patients," Jenkins said in the statement.

The study included 121 people with Type 2 diabetes, whose measurements -- including blood pressure, blood fat, blood glucose and hemoglobin A1C levels (which determines diabetes control) -- were taken at the start of the study. Then, for three months, some of the participants ate a low-glycemic index diet, as well as one cup more per day of legumes, while others ate a healthy diet with whole-wheat foods to boost their intake of insoluble fiber.

Then, the participants' measurements were taken again at the end of the study period. While the whole-wheat group experienced benefits in blood fat, blood glucose and hemoglobin A1C levels, the legume group experienced benefits in all these groups plus blood pressure.

Legumes are considered very low-glycemic foods. The glycemic index, which was developed by Jenkins, is used to determine the level at which a food will spike blood sugar levels. For example, foods like white bread are high on the glycemic index scale because they cause blood sugar levels to rise; apples and legumes are low on the scale because they tend to stabilize levels. 

Source: The Huffington Post

7 comments:

  1. I was pretty pleased to uncover this website.
    I want to to thank you for your time just for this wonderful read!
    ! I definitely savored every part of it and I have you book marked to check out new information on your web site.


    Also visit my web blog: best hosting companies 2012

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really make it seem so easy along with your presentation however I to find this topic to be actually one thing which I
    feel I might never understand. It kind of feels too complicated and extremely extensive
    for me. I'm having a look forward for your subsequent put up, I'll attempt to get the
    dangle of it!

    Feel free to visit my web page pkv Zusatzversicherung

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for
    my comment form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm
    having difficulty finding one? Thanks a lot!

    Here is my homepage: how to get a home equity loan with poor credit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please let me know if you're looking for a article author for your blog. You have some really good articles and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd absolutely love to write some content for your blog in
    exchange for a link back to mine. Please blast
    me an e-mail if interested. Regards!

    Visit my homepage ... g√ľnstige kleidung online kaufen

    ReplyDelete
  5. You ought to take part in a contest for one of the finest websites on the
    net. I will highly recommend this website!

    Feel free to visit my webpage studentische krankenversicherung vergleich

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very effortless to find out any topic on net as compared to textbooks, as I found this post at this website.

    Feel free to visit my weblog ... female desperation

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after browsing through many of the articles I realized it's new to me.
    Nonetheless, I'm definitely pleased I came across it and I'll be
    book-marking it and checking back often!

    My homepage :: kreditvermittlung ohne schufa

    ReplyDelete

Comments made by readers of this blog are strictly the views of the writers and not that of Nedu Echianu's Blog.