Thursday, 17 January 2013
Nigerian army to dismiss Personel Acussed of Rape
The Nigerian Army has said it will dismiss the soldiers alleged to have abducted and raped some women at Wuse zone 2, Abuja last December.
The Director of Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Bola Koleosho, however, did not disclose the number of soldiers involved in the scandal.
Speaking in Abuja, Nigeria's Capital city, Koleosho said the suspects had been identified and would be dismissed from the force on Friday.
According to him, by such act, it is no longer possible for them to remain in the Army.
“Those who carried out that act have been fished out and they will be dismissed on Friday. With what they have done, they can longer be in the Army.”
Koleosho was reacting to call by the National Human Rights Commission NHRC to the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen Azubuike Ihejirika, and the Commissioner of Police, Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, to probe the abduction and rape of women by the soldiers.
The NHRC said the soldiers allegedly committed the crime between December 20 and 22.
An electronic mail by Fatima Mohammed of the commission’s Public Affairs and Communications Department quoted the NHRC’s Executive Secretary, Prof. Bem Angwe, as having requested an update from the Army and the police on the incident.
Angwe urged the Chief of Army Staff and the police chief to update the commission on actions taken on the alleged rape to put the commission in a position to take further steps on the matter.
The statement read, “The National Human Rights Commission has called on the Chief of Army Staff and the Commissioner of police, FCT Command to investigate the allegation that some men in Army Uniform abducted and raped some women in Abuja under the guise that they were prostitutes.
“The executive Secretary of the NHRC, Prof. Bem Angwe, who made this call, has requested that the Chief of Army Staff and the Commissioner of Police FCT Command, Abuja, should update the Commission on any action taken on the subject matter to enable it to take further necessary action in line with its mandate.
“The NHRC monitored the report of the incident as aired by the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria on January 14, 2013, in which it was reported that on December, 20, 21 and 22, 2012, some women were allegedly abducted by men in Army uniform in an unidentified black Hilux Van around Wuse 2, Abuja, under the guise that they were prostitutes and taken to an unknown destination, where they were beaten and raped.
“The Commission which also gathered that the matter is already before the Federal Secretariat Abuja Police Station however condemns in its entirety all forms of rights violations and is ready to ensure that the rights of the victims are enforced.”