Monday, 22 April 2013

185 Persons Killed in Cross fire Between Nigerian Army and Boko Haram




The senseless killing of innocent Nigerians which is now a regular occurence in the hunt for members of the violent and dreaded Boko Haram sect continued over the weekend when over 185 civillians were killed and about 2000 houses destroyed in a fierce cross fire between the Nigerian army and members of the sect in Baga, Borno state, North East Nigeria.


Lawan Kole, a local government official in the area told a delegation from the Borno state government who visited the place after the incident on Sunday that  the killings started Friday night and went on for hours. Kole said atleast 185 bodies had been buried even as people continued to search for the dead.
However, the leader of the military onslaught, Brig. Gen. Austin Edokpaye told officials that the sect members used heavy machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades.
Edokpaye said the insurgents used civilians as human shields during the fighting — implying that soldiers opened fire in neighborhoods where they knew civilians lived.
This recent conflict is coming at a time the Nigerian government announced its intention to grant amnesty to members of the sect who have been responsible for a spate of bloody insurgent attacks since 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments made by readers of this blog are strictly the views of the writers and not that of Nedu Echianu's Blog.