Nigeria's Federal Government has demanded an unreserved apology from the Indian authorities over the death of a Nigerian, Obodo Simeon and discriminatory attacks on Nigerians afterwards.Culled from 24/7 Nigeria news update
The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Prof. Viola Onwuliri, said this while answering questions from journalists at the Pre-Commonwealth Head of Government Meeting press briefing in Abuja on Monday.
Tensions between Nigerians and Indians have escalated since Simeon was found dead in Goa, a popular tourist destination in the country’s west.
Simeon, according to reports, was stabbed to death on October 31 in Panaji, Goa state’s capital.
About 200 angry members of the Nigerian community were said to have blocked a highway while the body was being taken for post-mortem.
Police reportedly brought the situation under control and registered cases of rioting, arson and damaging public property against 51 Nigerians and one Ghanaian.
Onwuliri, who emphasised that Nigeria would not tolerate any act of unruly behaviour from its citizens, however, said the conduct of Indian authorities was unacceptable.
She told journalists that the Acting Head of Mission of India in Nigeria had been summoned to her office to explain the situation.
She said, “Actuall,y the growing violence around the countries should be a thing of worry for member states and for us in Nigeria too. We have continued to condemn violence especially against Nigerians in different states. The recent one in India is really a big one to worry about and I have summoned the acting head of Indian Mission to admonish him on what had happened to our citizens.
“The young man was coming back from lunch. They said there was a clash between two communities, he was not part of them but he went in for it! We have also asked for unreserved apology from India. We have asked them to ensure that full-fledged investigations are carried out so that perpetrators of that act will be brought to book.”