The Boko Haram sect is offering to free the more than 200 schoolgirls kidnapped from their hostels at the Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State last year in exchange for the release of militant leaders held by the government.
According to an activist, who pleaded anonymity with AP because he was not authorised to talk to reporters on the sensitive issue, it was revealed that Boko Haram’s current offer is limited to the schoolgirls abducted on April 14, 2014.
“The new initiative reopens an offer made last year to the government of former President Goodluck Jonathan to release the 219 students in exchange for 16 Boko Haram detainees,” the activist said.
He said the five-week-old administration of President Muhammadu Buhari “offers a clean slate” to bring the militants back to negotiations that had become poisoned by the different security agencies and their advice to former President Jonathan.
It will be recalled that the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, on Saturday stated that the Buhari-led government “will not be aversed” to talks with Boko Haram.