Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, on Tuesday condemned in strong terms the recent Boko Haram attacks in Dalori, Borno State, where scores of people were reportedly killed and others injured.
Saraki in a statement by his Special Adviser, Media and Publicity, Yusuph Olaniyonu, in Abuja, described the Boko Haram attacks against women and children on the outskirts of Maiduguri as unacceptable coming at a time the nation has recorded so much gain in the fight against corruption and when the Governor, Alhaji Kashim Shettima has commenced the process of rehabilitation and reconstruction.
He urged the security agencies to ensure that such barbaric attacks do not detract from the success they have recorded in the war against insurgency so far, by immediately extending their security cover and intelligence gathering mechanism to remote and isolated villages in the Northeast region.
Saraki said: "I condemn in totality this barbaric attack on mostly women and children in Dalori village. By all standards these are defenceless and vulnerable groups. They need protection and we must ensure that they get protected.
"Yes, we have recorded tremendous gains in the war against Boko Haram and their atrocities. But the recent attack shows that more needs to be done to restore much needed security which is needed for the current rebuilding efforts in the region to succeed.
"The Senate will make further consultations with the authorities to see further areas of intervention that we can make that will assist the military so that this kind of incident will never occur again," he said.
Saraki who commiserated with the people of Dalori in particular and Nigeria in general, also prayed for the repose of the souls that were lost and quick recovery for the injured.